Thursday, January 5, 2012

Gluten, Protein, and the Kitchen Sink -October 21, 2008

Gluten, Protein, and the Kitchen Sink
Current mood:content
Ok, so I shouldn't be trying to find myself in food, I'm a fat kid, I need to find myself in a serious running and drum practice regimen, as well as maybe weight watchers. But in the last two or three years, I have discovered that I love to find ways to tell people how awesome they are with food. Or maybe I like to tell people how awesome I am by cooking food. Does that sound bad, I think it does, but if you haven't tried my "dirty steaks" or "yellow bellied turkey" you can't understand the passion and love I have found for food. It's a little bit of science, a little bit of art, and a whole lot of love. Its about experimentation, and self exploration.
Little personal testimony:
Growing up and until about 3 days ago I have hated Macaroni and Cheese. My mom says that she "burnt me out on it" when I was little. But over the last two or three weeks, I found myself doubting my daringness, and puzzled at my own conflict. I love Pasta, and I love Cheese, but why do I hate Mac & Cheese, then it hit me. I hate FAKE cheese. And so for about three days I researched and studied various Mac & Cheese recipes. And decided that I would create a Mac & Cheese that I would really dig. First it has to be Savory, I don't just want melted cheese and pasta, thats unoriginal, and boring. And I want a little contrast, I want it to be creamy, but I want it to have a little bite. I can't tell you what went in to it, I want you to try it yourself. But I can tell you the end result was a Cheddery heaven, with a warm bacon/browned chedder crispy crusty topping. I Love Mac & Cheese, but if it comes in a box, I will rebuke you.
Experiment:
You have to try different things.
Sea Duck, it sounds scary and can be scary. But it can be amazing, if you take the time to make the bird an alcaholic, and then give it a smoking habit. The slow cooking in beer, and then final cook over smoke, with the right sauce and you don't care where it came from, you just hope there is more.
I don't know if there is a point to all this, I know my DR. wants me to stop, but then that may be why we haven't seen each other in a while.

P.S. Anthony Bourdain and Alton Brown are my heros.

No comments:

Post a Comment