Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Stay-at-Home Dad.

Holy stigma batman! What a title, only in this day and age has this really become an embraced thing, and as an Alaskan male, I find it violently runs against everything I've been taught about masculinity, the provider and protector of the home, etc. (not saying that is, in anyway, a correct or even validated viewpoint). And look where I have landed.

Now I hardly consider myself a stay-at-home dad. I do kinda work, almost 4 days a week. I say "almost" because I never start before noon, and on my latest day I'm there till 6ish. And I say "kinda" because teaching drums is awesome and in no way feels like work. And I will be gone for around 100 days come fishing season earning my winter lifestyle. Still being home with the children for most of my winter schedule qualifies me for this title, and I find myself questioning a world view I've long held regarding the sexes.

Oh, there are a handful of you reading this calling me a sexist as these words spill out before you, that is hardly the case. The man uttered phrase "Honey I'm Home" isn't a common phrase in our society because the sitcom was making light of an anomaly in American Culture, indeed it was the norm for dad to go to work, and mom to be home raising children. That was the scenario much of my childhood, it was the scenario for my parents upbringing as well. And here I find myself the father of two, and am much of the time, a stay-at-home dad.

What happened?

My wife and I, years before we met each other, knew we were going to be parents. We both also, followed common paths, youths from high school take when venturing out from home. My path landed me in mediocre paying jobs, on par with the skills I had acquired to that point. And her path landed her in an awesome job, but with a great deal of college debt. We have one car payment, because we wanted her to have a quality family vehicle, that was both safe, and dependable, it was not brand new, but not run into the ground either. We have not had the best of luck with my vehicles, I make no claims at being a whiz mechanic, and all my trucks have been old, so at the moment we have one functioning car... We have a mortgage, and it's literally around 100 bucks less a month then renting was. And we have been incredibly blessed to have family members that were willing to watch our children at no cost.

When we had our second child, we found it difficult to continue to impose on the network of family members to watch our children 8+ hours a day. Fortunately at this same time, Tina's cousin, was willing to take me fishing, and I had started teaching at the music school in the same year, and the opportunity arose for us to start raising our own children.

You see, it killed me, to every morning of the week, be dropping my daughter at a different family members house. Knowing that I couldn't provide enough for my children to be raised, in large, by their parents, and raise them with the uncertainty of "where will I be today?" was more then I could continue to bear. Tina is a public school teacher, so she is home all summer. Going fishing is hard on ALL of us, but the reward of being home in the winter, makes it worth it for me. And my awesome schedule at the music school, lets us have the children with their Grandma's during the week, just a few hours on the days I teach.

I am so grateful for my employers, and the willing, loving, Grandparents my children have. The amazing wife I married who puts up with my impulsiveness, and lets me go be daring and provide for my family in the summer, so I can love and relish every moment I'm with them in the winter. I got to experience an entire Christmas break with my wife and family this year. I get to let my children sleep in, wake-up with Daddy, bond with my son, snuggle my daughter. Be here to discipline, feed, and encourage my babies. Being gone in the summer is brutal, being home in the winter is amazing, every dad should be so lucky.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Ash! I pray blessings over your family!

    ReplyDelete